Friday, August 9, 2013

Back to School Prep #1: Breakfast

Back to school is right around the corner!  I'm not feeling quite as apprehensive as I was last year, but the Mama Bear in me still likes it when all of my kids are at home under my roof and supervision.  I know they need to grow their wings, but it still makes a mama sad that her kiddos are growing up!  I thought I'd share a few series of posts entitled Back to School Prep.  I'd like to tackle breakfast, lunch, and of course, some sweet treats!

With school comes hectic mornings, especially in those first few weeks.  Getting everyone ready and out the door can be a challenge, so why not make breakfast a little easier?  Since we are working on cleaning up our eating, I wanted to make some homemade goodies to put in the freezer to supplement our usual oatmeal or cereal breakfasts (organic cereal is expensive and not an option every day if we're going to stay on budget!).  

Today I thought I'd share some make-ahead recipes that you can freeze and either pull out the night before you need them or throw it in the toaster in the morning.  Pair them with fresh fruit or a smoothie and your kiddo will be ready to tackle the day and learn (we hope!).  As always, the recipes I share are free of peanuts and tree nuts.     


Bottom left to right:  Cinnamon Zucchini, Banana Chocolate Chip, and Fresh Blueberry Muffins

All of the recipes can be found by clicking the name except the Cinnamon Zucchini...they're new (and a huge hit!).  I'll share the recipe with you today.  Included in the waffle post is also another recipe for a lighter zucchini muffin.  I hope you enjoy and save some time during the morning rush!

Cinnamon Zucchini Muffins
Source:  www.southerfood.com (adapted)

2/3 c. canola oil (I found a great organic canola oil on Amazon)
2 large eggs
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. light brown sugar, packed
1 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. finely shredded zucchini
*sugar/cinnamon mix for topping

In a mixing bowl, beat together oil, eggs, sugars, and vanilla until smooth.  Add in remaining dry ingredients and stir until blended.  Fold in zucchini.  Place in a muffin tin lined with papers.  Top with cinnamon and sugar mix.  Bake at 375 degrees for 16-20 minutes.  



No comments:

Post a Comment