Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Crockpot Monday (a day late!) Dairy-free BBQ Meatballs

Yesterday was the most productive day I've had in the kitchen in a long time.  It's amazing what I can get done when the Queen Bee takes a three hour nap and Grandma takes the little guy for the day.  I think I need one of those days at least once a month!  I was able to make some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin muffins to store in the freezer for lunches and I tried a new recipe for homemade BBQ sauce and meatballs.  

Today I thought I'd share the delicious dairy-free BBQ meatballs we had for dinner.  It takes some time to prep, but it is worth it!  If you find yourself with some time on the weekend, you can make these meatballs and freeze them for later use.  Making the BBQ sauce ahead of time and keeping that in the refrigerator will also reduce your time the day you'd like to make the meal.

Meatballs

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 egg
2 T. water
1/2 c. bread crumbs (I used Panko)
1/4 c. minced onion (I omitted)
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper

Mix together all ingredients put the ground beef until bound together.  Add ground beef in chunks and mash with hands until all mixed up.  Roll into balls 1 inch in diameter.  Place on a jelly roll pan prepared with parchment paper.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minute or no longer pink in the center.  Cool and place in crockpot or freeze.

BBQ Sauce
Source:  Food Network (adapted)

2 cups ketchup (I used Annie's homegrown organic)
1 c. water
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
5 T. light brown sugar
5 T. sugar
1/2 t. fresh ground black pepper
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. ground mustard
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. Worcestershire sauce

In a medium sauce pan, combine all ingredients and cover.  Bring to a boil.  Turn town and simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes uncovered stirring frequently.

Crockpot Meatballs and BBQ Sauce

Place meatballs in crockpot.  Using a large spoon, scoop in BBQ sauce until meatballs are covered.  I used about half of the sauce that I made.  Cook on low for 2 hours if using freshly made meatballs.  If using frozen, cook on low for 4 hours.

24 Meatballs Ready to Bake

BBQ Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment