Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Honey Cookies

Life is so busy these days!  Not "I've over-scheduled my family busy," just "I have a lot of kids and a house to take care of busy."  Throw in my adventure with a friend in creating a community charity project, fitting in exercise, and dabbling in a new adventure (to be disclosed at a later date!) and that equals up to not enough hours in a day.  Considering the days begin at 5:30 and don't end until 10:00, that's saying something!

I've continued with the Couch to 5K program and have to finish up week 6 this evening or tomorrow morning.  It's gone pretty well and I hope my body continues to hold up for the Color Me Rad race at the end of  August.  Once school resumes and the baby is a bit older, I think I'll be ready to hit the gym again and start working on strength training and other cardio activities, too.  While the baby weight is slowly coming off, I still have a long way to go!  (The recipe at the bottom of this post won't help, either!).  

We've tried to stay busy over the past few weeks.  The kids have begun to fight more since they've been together every day for weeks, but summer vacation is drawing to a close.  While that makes me a little sad, and admittedly our summer was not as fun and pleasant as I had hoped, I am looking forward to some structure again.  I am not, however, looking forward to rushing around in the morning and getting everyone out the door or the grouchiness that comes out once school is over.  It will definitely be an adjustment period for us all again!

On this rainy day, I decided to pull out one of my favorite cookie recipes from long ago:  Honey Bee Cookies.  We purchased some local honey from the fI don't make them often, but when I do, they're gone quickly!  Enjoy!

Honey Bee Cookies
from Alpha Bakery Children's Cookbook

1/2 c. margarine or butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground cinnamon

Beat butter, brown sugar, honey, and egg in a medium bowl on medium speed, scraping bowl constantly until smooth.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  (The dough will not be thick like regular cookie dough).  Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet (I put parchment paper on mine).  Bake at 375 degrees until set and light brown around edges (surfaces of cookies will appear shiny), 7 to 9 minutes.  Let stand 3 to 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet. 

Dough is sticky, but not very stiff

The finished product!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment