Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Changing Up Breakfast

Breakfast has always been an important meal in our house.  It's one of the best meals our kiddos will eat and they all wake up asking for it.  I do my best to keep our breakfasts as healthy as I can.  We limit their intake of "sugar cereals" like Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks to special occasions and have kicked frozen breakfast foods like Toaster Strudels and Eggo Waffles to the curb.  While they are very convenient to serve, I do my best to avoid frozen processed foods, as I prefer to not serve food filled with preservatives and words I cannot pronounce.

Now that the school year is in full swing, I really try to make sure our kindergartener gets a breakfast that will hold him over until his lunchtime at noon.  His personal favorite is simple:  Quaker Quick Cook Oats with a spoonful of brown sugar.  I feel like this is a pretty nutritious and filling choice (yes, I understand brown sugar is not in a "healthy" category, but it's a small spoonful!).  We have plenty of cereal days with our younger two and they prefer Multi-Grain Cheerios, Kix, or Rice Krispies.  We always have cereal in the house, though it has become such an expensive item to buy that I've begun to look for alternatives.

As you know, I enjoy baking and have come across a few healthy and filling muffins that I have added to the mix.  Muffins are great, because you can either eat them right away or pop them in the freezer and pull them out for a later date.  There also a pretty quick breakfast for those rushed mornings.  We also like to make homemade waffles, which can also be frozen and toasted later.  Any of these options paired with some fruit make for a good start to the day!  

Today I'd like to share with you a great muffin recipe (it includes a vegetable!) and our waffle recipe.  Next week I'll share a few more muffin recipes with you to enjoy!

Cooking Light Zucchini Muffins

1 scant cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 1/3 c. shredded zucchini
1/2 c. skim milk
2 T. Canola oil
2 T. honey
1 large egg
(Raisins may be added)

Preheat over to 400 degrees (375 degrees for a dark pan).  Combine dry ingredients (first 6).  Stir with whisk.  Combine zucchini, milk, oil, honey, and egg in small bowl. Blend.  Make a well in center of flour mixture; add egg mixture.  Stir just until moist.  Spoon mixture into 12 muffin cups.  Combine 1 T. sugar (or brown sugar) and 1/4 t. cinnamon.  Spoon mixture on top of muffins and bake for 15 minutes.


Zucchini Muffins


Waffles

2 eggs
2 c. sour milk (to 1 c. milk add 1 T. lemon juice or vinegar; let stand 5 minutes)
1 t. soda
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
6 T. soft butter

Beat eggs well.  Add rest of ingredients and beat until smooth.  Batter will be thin.  Make using a waffle iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment