Wednesday, August 28, 2013

It Feels Good to Follow Through

Well, the clock has turned to another year.  For some reason I am not thrilled about turning another year older, but I have good intentions that this next year of life will hold big changes for me and my family.  I am being vague, I know, but if and when my goal comes to fruition, I will share the news.  Until then, just bear with my hints at something big to come.

Over the weekend I completed my first 5K.  To some that may not seem like any big feat, but to me it was.  I am not a self-declared runner.  In fact, I used to be intimidated by running for five minutes!  A mile seems easy now, two is manageable, and three continues to be difficult.  Doable, but difficult.  I struggle mentally when I get out there and out of my comfort zone.  For some reason I initially try to convince myself that I won't be able to do it, but I keep moving forward...slowly.

My goal was to run the entire race.  It wasn't timed, so there was no race against the clock.  It really was just a simple goal:  run.  It was hot on the course, as there was little shade or breeze, but I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and moved forward.  When I signed up for the race a few of my friends did, too, but in the end it was just me and the pavement, as other things came up.  It was up to me to keep myself motivated and it took a lot of internal cheering to keep running, but I did it and seeing my family near the finish line gave me the last little nudge I needed to complete the race.

I am proud to say that a few months ago I set a goal that I was able to achieve.  Life can throw a lot of things at you and following through on goals you set can be difficult.  There were many mornings I didn't want to get out of bed to run, especially after being woken up by the baby (and at least one other kiddo most nights) and getting little sleep.  Some days the weather was too hot or too chilly during those early morning runs, but I did it.  Sometimes it just feels good to accomplish what you set out to do.

Today I'll leave you with a little quote I found this morning that I like.  I'm ready to come alive!  Are you?



No comments:

Post a Comment