Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Bananas and Breakfast

Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day.  I think this is especially true for my oldest son, as he doesn't eat lunch until noon and most of his learning occurs during the morning.  I don't want him to be hungry and distracted, so we try to my sure he eats a hearty breakfast.  I like to switch things up a bit and take a break from the usual oatmeal and cereal routine, so I try to make homemade goodies that we can eat now or freeze for later.

As you've probably figured out, I like to bake things for breakfast.  I think I've shared all of my muffin recipes that I use, so I thought I'd share our family's banana bread recipe.  My mom and aunt have made this for years and it's a favorite in our house now.  I always seem to have a few overripe bananas sitting on the counter, so this morning we enjoyed a freshly baked loaf of banana bread.  This is best with a little butter spread on top and goes well with a side of fruit, oatmeal, or cereal.  Enjoy!

Banana Bread

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. softened butter
2 eggs
2 c. flour
pinch of salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 c. buttermilk (may substitute powdered)
2 t. vanilla
2 ripe bananas, smashed

Cream butter and sugar
Add eggs
Alternate dry ingredients (if using powdered include mix with dry ingredients), add water in between dry ingredients
Add bananas and vanilla last

Spray pans.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes

*We have found it works best to use the disposable loaf pans (not the mini), it will make two loaves


No comments:

Post a Comment