Friday, March 22, 2013

Nesting, Nesting! Might as Well Bake!

This week has been a long one!  I'm trying to be patient awaiting Baby #4's arrival, but two days of constant contractions has made me a little impatient.  My body always does this, though, and I know it could go on for a few more weeks, but at least it kicked me into high gear!  My house is cleaned, the nursery is coming along, and I finally packed my hospital bag.  Now we just wait and what better way to pass the time than to...bake!

Today I decided to try out a blueberry muffin recipe I had come across awhile ago.  It's been on my list of things to freeze for "after baby," so I tackled them today.  We have done a little taste-testing this morning.  My husband and I like them a lot, the kids are a little uncertain.  They are certainly not as sweet as a box mix, but they are much healthier and very moist!  I thought I'd share the recipe in case you'd like to try them out!

Blueberry Muffins
Source:  Joy of Baking (adapted a bit)

1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup yogurt (calls for plain, but I used vanilla)
1/3 c. canola oil
1 t. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
6 oz. fresh blueberries

In a small bowl, mix together egg, yogurt, oil, and vanilla.  In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients to dry, folding in using a spatula, blending well.  Better will be thick.  Fold in blueberries.  Scoop into lined muffin pans using an ice cream scoop.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Recipe says it makes 12, but I got 24 out of it because I don't make giant muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment