Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Taking it Easy This Week...For Dinner!

This time change has really done a number on our family.  My youngest has been starting the day very early the past few days.  Today was 5:00, which is much better than the 3:30 wake-up call yesterday.  I am hoping that by the end of the week I'll at least get to see a six on the clock at wake-up time. The joys of parenting!

Today is election day and I can happily say I voted by mail.  What a wonderful way to cast your vote:  no lines, no kids to keep in check, and I could research the candidates as I went along.  I think it will be my "go-to" way to vote for awhile!  I hope that people exercise their right to vote this election.  While the candidate you chose may not win, at least you got to voice your opinion.  I think that is the most important thing.  People are quick to complain, but if you didn't vote, in my eyes you've lost that privilege! 

This week I have planned a simple, low-budget menu.  While that may sound boring, I think it is just what the doctor ordered!  I seem to equate low-budget with easy to make.  I incorporated some meat from the freezer and added in a few of the kids' favorites to create a menu that "should" please even the little people this week.  Here's a quick rundown of our menu:

Monday:  Crockpot parmesan encrusted boneless pork loin roast and baked potatoes
Tuesday:  Tacos
Wednesday:  Baked Mostaccioli
Thursday:  Pancakes and Scrambled Eggs
Friday:  Homemade Pizza
Saturday:  Homemade Fettucini Alfredo

This menu is light on meat, but to compensate for that I use Barilla Pasta Plus to add some protein and Omega-3's.  Target's Market Pantry brand has begun to make some types of this pasta as well, which has cut down on costs a bit.

Today I'd like to share our simple go-to recipe for baked mostaccioli.  You can make this with or without meat.  It is quick, easy, and my kids devour it!

Baked Mostaccioli

3/4 to full box of Penne pasta
Jar of Prego spaghetti sauce (if I use a whole box of noodles, I buy the size up from the small jar)
Mozzarella cheese
Ground beef/turkey (optional)

Cook pasta per directions on box; drain.  In a bowl, mix pasta and spaghetti sauce (and cooked meat, if using).  You want to make sure it is very saucy!  Pour into a greased casserole dish and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, making sure it is heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment