Thursday, November 29, 2012

My Life Is a 3-Ring Circus

These days I feel like I'm living in a 3-ring circus.  To say that things around the house have been challenging may be an understatement.  I currently have children at three difficult ages:  2, 3, and 5.  I'll explain a little bit why I feel this way and then when I'm done I'll share one of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes.  Ending things on a sweet note is always good!

Nothing seems to be going well around the house right now.  The little guy has decided that he is the most independent person in the household.  He insists on doing everything himself and unfortunately there is a big difference between wanting to do something and being capable of doing something.  I'm all for him putting his shoes on by himself, but most of them are too tricky and when I try to help all hell breaks loose.  He can't go around in Crocs all winter...too bad.  In addition, he wants to dress himself, open the door, get his own food, etc.  He is constantly throwing temper tantrums when we run to the store or I put him in his carseat.  It just never ends and it's getting exhausting!  Now we've added the ability to crawl out of the crib, open his bedroom door, and even dismantle the child-proof lock we have over the door handle to get out of his room.  What a circus!

The Princess has decided to boycott naps...again.  I don't think she's really ready for this, because by 4:00 in the afternoon the meltdowns begin.  Come bedtime she is a hyper-maniac and always the drama queen about this or that.  Our evening dinners have become not-so-enjoyable due to the tiredness from her and her older brother and I'm about ready to serve food at 4:30.  If she would sleep all night and go straight to bed, I may be okay with her dropping the nap, but it's just not the case.  To add to it, she's become quite the sassy-pants who pretends to not hear 75% of what I say.  Ugh...

Then there's the oldest guy.  I was just not ready for the personality changes that have come with kindergarten.  Prior to going to school he was such a sweet boy and almost always listened to us.  He rarely talked back or shot me dirty looks, but boy has that changed.  I'm not fond of these new behaviors and am trying to find a way to work through it.  It makes me very sad and I just want the sweet boy back that I had a few months ago.  

Really, this is all very tiring and deflating most days.  Mama needs a break (and kids to cooperate during nap time so that I can at least have an hour of peace during the day to recharge for the rest of the day).  I know that this, too, shall pass, but the daily challenges seem about unbearable some days, especially when I've been woken up at night by at least one of the kiddos.  Sometimes I just have days where I want to drop them off somewhere, take a nap, and go shopping without a care in the world.  I know this isn't motherhood, but a girl can dream.  This isn't meant to be a woe is me kind of post:  just a place to vent and I'm sure I'm in good company in feeling this way.  At least you know you're not alone!

As promised, I'll share one of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes:  Snickerdoodles.  I have some in my freezer right now and I'm about ready to dive right in!  Who needs lunch when you've got cookies?

Snickerdoodles

1 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 c. flour
2 t. cream of tartar
1 t. soda
dash salt

2 T. sugar (red and green is festive!)
2 t. cinnamon

Cream butter and sugar.  Beat in eggs.  Combine flour, cream or tartar, soda, and salt.  Add and mix.  Chill dough.  Roll in balls the size of a walnut.  Roll in cinnamon/sugar mixture.  Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper to have less mess).  Bake for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment