Friday, November 2, 2012

A Time to Give Thanks

Thanksgiving is traditionally the day we stop to take time to give thanks for our blessings.  While this is great, why not extend it?  This month I plan to take time each day to think about a part of my life that I am thankful for.  I'm thinking for the New Year, maybe I'll challenge myself to recording something daily.  I feel that I have been very blessed, so this really should not be a problem.  It may make me stop to think about the things that I take for granted and really be grateful for what we have.

I feel like we do a good job encouraging our children to acknowledge their blessings on a daily basis.  Each night, our children say prayers and then thank God for whatever comes to mind that day.  I always love to hear what they have to say each night.  Kids are pretty remarkable, as you just never know what is going to come out of their mouths!

This weekend we are having an early celebration with my immediate family.  It is our year to spend Thanksgiving with my husband's side of the family, so I was thrilled that my mom offered to host an early celebration this year.  This is the first year we've easily been able to do this since we are now so much closer to them.  Sunday will be a great day of church, rest, and sharing a meal with my family.  I am planning to bring green bean casserole and a "kid-friendly" dessert to share.  If I had more time tomorrow, I'd do something fun and creative for dessert, but I am quite busy and think I will bring either chocolate chip bars or brownies and ice cream.  My guess is that either will go over well with the kiddos.

With that being said, I thought I would share my favorite recipe for what I call chocolate chip bars.  I think the actual recipe calls them mini chip blondies.  Either way, they are delicious, and when baking it's best to error on the side of undercooked than over!

Chocolate Chip Bars
(Hershey's Mini Chip Blondies)

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
2 T. milk
2 c. Hershey's semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
1/4 t. baking soda
3/4 c. butter, softened (I always bake with unsalted butter)
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract

Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, milk, and vanilla; beat well.  Gradually add flour mixture.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Bake in greased 9X13 pan at 350 degrees.  Bake 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool in pan on wire rack.  Cut into bars.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment