Monday, November 26, 2012

Comfort Food Monday

We made it through our Monday.  Back to school for my oldest guy and by 6:00 we were all beat!  Once the initial bedtime whines were handled, everyone drifted off quickly.  I think I'm shortly behind them.  Nothing like crawling into bed on this cold night with a good book and hopefully getting a good night's sleep!  I hope I don't have any late-night visitors, but I won't be holding my breath.  

Today, as you know, was Cyber Monday, but this year I didn't purchase much since I've already done so much of my online shopping already.  I did take the opportunity to use my Kohl's cash to purchase toys for Toys for Tots.  I spent about an hour stewing over what to buy and finally decided on four:  the Laugh and Learn picnic basket (we love!), Polly Pockets Just Horsing Around set, Melissa and Doug car transporter, and a Fisher Price magical tea set.  Hopefully they will help make some little one's Christmas a little bit brighter.  One of my favorite parts of Christmas is buying gifts for those in need.  We're going to take that a step further this year and give a donation as a gift for a few people.  I'll comment on that in a post down the road.  

Since it's Monday, I wanted to share an easy recipe with you.  I'm out of crockpot recipes again, so I thought I'd share one of my favorite childhood casseroles that definitely fits in the "comfort food" category:  Tator Tot!  This was a staple in our home growing up and I'm trying to get my kids on board with it!  It is still one of my favorites.

Tator Tot Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1 can Golden Mushroom soup
1 can french style green beans
1 can mushrooms (or saute fresh)
Tator Tots
Shredded Colby Jack cheese

Brown ground beef and drain.  In a bowl, mix ground beef, green beans, mushrooms, and soup.  Pour into casserole dish.  Top with tator tots and cheese, making sure to cover the top.  Bake at 350 degrees for  30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment