Monday, October 1, 2012

Falling Behind...

I feel like all I've done the past two weeks is take care of sick kiddos and it seems that another ear infection is upon us.  My blog has been neglected for this reason, so I thought I'd just do a quick post tonight.  I hope to resume my usual "Crocking Monday" recipe share next Monday!

Sometimes despite our best efforts, we fall behind.  We now have six weeks of school under our belt and I am still working on ironing out a decent morning and evening schedule.  My oldest kiddo is not a quick mover and really feels no sense of urgency when it comes to making it to school on time.  We always make it, but I usually feel guilty after I've dropped him off because I've had to yell at him to get him into gear.  One mom I know made a comment that she was going to create a morning playlist to cue her kiddos in that it was time to get ready and go.  I may have to try this out if things don't improve soon.  Sounds more positive than the yelling, nagging, and time-outs that have been happening here!

Though he has minimal homework, it seems like we are also having a difficult time finding a good time to work on it.  I like to give him time to unwind and play when he gets home, but then it seems like dinner, bath time, and bed time have crept up on us and we're scrambling to complete it.  It always gets done, but I think we need to work on our time management.  We do spend about twenty minutes a night reading to the kiddos before bed, so that makes me feel a little bit better that we are achieving his teacher's goal of ten minutes a night.  Have to find the positive!

The house tends to get away from me when the kiddos are sick.  I know that in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal because they need their mama, but I hate looking around seeing bathrooms that need to be cleaned, vacuuming that needs to be done, and toys scattered all over.  My goal this week is to catch up on my housekeeping tasks that have been pushed aside.  I got a good start today, thank goodness, but envision a day spent at the doctor's office tomorrow and shuffling kids back and forth to school.  Probably going to be behind again.  Someday when my kids are grown and gone I'll have plenty of time to keep my house looking the way I'd like (at least that's what I tell myself!).

I have begun to realize that life is always going to be throwing curve balls at me and I'm going to fall behind.  Kids are going to get sick, appointments and meetings will take up a lot of time, and there will just not be enough hours in a day to get it all done.  I just have to cut myself some slack and realize that it's okay.  There's always tomorrow.  I'm going to do my best to remember that tomorrow when I'm fretting about the things that should be getting done, but won't!  Wednesday will be a new day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment