Thursday, March 14, 2013

St. Patrick's Day Fun

You would think Christmas is coming!  My kids are so excited about St. Patrick's Day and I'm not really sure why, as we don't make a big deal out of it.  Our oldest son has been playing "leprechaun" which entails dumping all of the toys all over the floor and turning all of the chairs upside down.  Needless to say, after one round of the game, he was forced to clean it all up himself and we ended that little bit.  Since then, they have been devising ways to set traps for the leprechauns by baiting them with Lucky Charms and they can't wait to see what mischief they will cause.  I guess we better plan something!

I haven't been feeling super crafty lately, but did provide them with three green cut-out hearts and had them piece them together into shamrocks.  We've also printed off a few coloring pages to make our house a little more festive.  They really are all into this holiday!



Our little craft project

For a little fun, I thought I'd share a recipe that you could make for a St. Patrick's Day dessert.  When I was young, I would beg my mom to make this cake.  I've made this for my kids before and they aren't huge fans, but I might make it this year anyway (I know I will eat it up!).  You can substitute any Jello flavor to go with any holiday or occasion.

Jello Cake

Yellow cake mix
1 small package Jello (green for this one!)
1 c. boiling water, add Jello and stir for two minutes
1/2 c. cold water, add to Jello

Cake extender:
1 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/2 c. oil
2/3 c. water

Mix cake mix per box instructions.  Add extender.  Pour into a 9X13 cake pan and bake according to package instructions, but add 10-15 minutes to cake time (due to adding the cake extender).  Let cool.  Using a wooden spoon handle, poke holes on top of the cake.  Pour in the Jello.  Chill 3-4 hours.  Top with Cool Whip-go ahead, dye it green (and fruit if desired).  *Sometimes I have made a package of vanilla pudding and mixed that in with the Cool Whip to spread on the top.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment