Friday, March 1, 2013

No Meat Friday: Orange Roughy

Since yesterday's post was a little heavy and emotional, I thought I'd keep today's brief and provide a yummy fish recipe.  My mom always made this when I was growing up during Lent and I just came across it the other day.  It is intended for the microwave, but I have always baked it.

Orange Roughy

1 lb. fish
salt and pepper
2 T. butter
1 T. lemon juice
1 t. grated onion

If using fresh, cut fish into serving pieces.  If using frozen, thaw filets.  Microwave butter, lemon juice, and onion in glass measuring cup until melted.  Arrange fish in ungreased baking dish.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Pour butter mixture over the fish and microwave until fish flakes easily with fork, 4 to 4 1/2 minutes.

*My oven method:  Follow all of the same steps, except bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until fish flakes.  (Keep checking with a fork to not overcook).

*You could also substitute cod, halibut, haddock, and sole if you're looking for a mild fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment