Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Broccoli Rice Casserole (Without Processed Cheese!)

It's been a busy day filled with more baby prep and party prep for our daughter's birthday party.  It's the little things in life, like My Little Pony napkins and party plates, that really bring a smile to a kid's face.  The countdown is on for her celebration.  She has given me very specific instructions about her cake as only an almost-four-year-old can and I just need to finalize a menu.  We are celebrating with family a few weekends before her birthday hopefully before the baby arrives!

I know I share many main dish recipes with you, but I wanted to pass along this awesome cheesy rice and broccoli side dish that I made for Christmas.  It was so delicious and did not contain any processed cheese (which is a bonus!).

No Cheese-Whiz Broccoli Rice Casserole
Source:  www.food.com

2 10 oz. boxes frozen broccoli, thawed (I used fresh; I guessed how much and steamed it first)
2 cups cooked rice
8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 small onion, chopped (I omitted)
2 T. butter

If using, cook onion in butter in large skillet on stove until soft.  Add remaining ingredients and cook just until cheese is melted.  Put in 2-quart casserole dish (I used a 9X13 Pyrex pan).  Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.






No comments:

Post a Comment