Friday, January 18, 2013

It's Friday! Celebrate the Weekend With This Cake!

Life around our house has just not been the norm the past few weeks.  Now my husband is down with a nasty virus and I'm praying my turn isn't next (though I wouldn't mind being stuck in a room by myself all day to sleep and read!).  Luckily he tested negative for influenza, but it is awfully similar.  I'm hoping we can have a feel-good week around here soon!

Next weekend is his birthday.  We don't do much for our birthdays anymore (which is lame, I know), but I will cook him one of his favorite meals and make a cake with the kids' help.  This year we'll probably make something simple, like chocolate cake or cupcakes, and put some frosting and sprinkles on top.  Back when we were in college, I used to make him this cake for his birthday.  I haven't had it in years, but it is so delicious!  If my kids would eat it, I would make it this year, but the simpler the better for them!

Happy Friday!

Better Than Sex Cake

1 package Devil's Food cake mix
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 jar/bottle caramel ice cream topping
1 container Cool Whip
1 package Heath Bar pieces (optional)

Bake cake according to package directions in a 9x13 inch cake pan.  Let cool for about 5 minutes.  Poke holes in cake with a round-handled wooden spoon every couple of inches (if you don't have one, use a fork).  Mix together sweetened condensed milk and caramel in a bowl.  Pour over top of the cake and let sink into the holes, making sure to cover completely.  Spread Cool Whip over top of cake.  If desired, sprinkle Heath Bar pieces on top.  Keep in refrigerator.

*After typing this all out, I must find an excuse to make this!

No comments:

Post a Comment