Friday, January 11, 2013

Date Night? What's That? Bring it Home!

In my mind (and out loud), I always say that my husband and I need to have more date nights.  Please note I did not say want, I said need.  Time away from the kiddos is important to every marriage.  It's just hard to make it work a lot of the time.  There's the childcare, the money, oh, and the energy it takes to go and actually do it.  With three young children and one baking away sucking all of my energy out of me, going out seems like quite a hurdle to overcome.  So, it's time to get creative and bring the date night home.

Here's an example of a date night idea.  Let's start with dinner.  This could include the kiddos or not, depending on your preference.  If I had to wait to eat until all of my kids were snoring away, I would be starving and crabby!  So, for the purposes of this date night, dinner will be with the munchkins.  Luckily I have a wonderful (this word barely touches the surface of how good this is!) recipe that our entire family devours:  Portobello Stuffed Shells.  Yum, yum, yum!  Pair this with a side of salad and bread and you're set.  You could also make a nice little dessert (or have your husband stop for a few slices of pie) and have a restaurant night at home! 

Once you've had dinner and put the kiddos to bed, it's time to find some activity to enjoy together.  To each his own in this area, but our date night would either include a movie (which I'd probably fall asleep during) or a game.  We like to play Scrabble and I hate to admit that I have lost the last two times we have played.  It's got me motivated for another round!  The best (and maybe most important) part of the night, though, would be to actually sit down and have a conversation.  Check in with each other and see how things are going.  It's definitely something we don't do enough, because it feels like we never have enough time!  

Go on!  Have a date night at home (and let me know how you like this recipe!).  Happy Friday!

Portobello Stuffed Shells

2 packages Portobello mushrooms (finely chopped)
1 c. whipping cream
1 1/2 c. shredded Mozzarella cheese (divided)
2 scallions (finely chopped)
1 package shells
salt/pepper
1 t. chopped garlic (once again, I use the stuff in the jar!)
1/4 stick of butter
Jar of favorite marinara sauce (I use organic Barilla tomato and basil )

Cook shells.  Saute mushrooms, scallions and garlic in butter.  Add salt/pepper to taste.  Scoop mushroom mixture out with slotted spoon and put in bowl.  Add whipping cream and 1 cup cheese to liquid in skillet.  Simmer and stir.  Drain and rinse shells in cold water.  Stuff shells with mushroom mixture.  Pour whipping cream sauce over shells.  Pour marinara sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes until cheese is melted and shells are warm.      







No comments:

Post a Comment