Monday, August 6, 2012

Crocking Monday

It's Crocking Monday!!  Today I'd like to share a recipe with you from a small cookbook we have called Slow Cooker Suppers For the Cookingly Challenged.  My mom actually gave this cookbook to my husband before we were married, though I don't think it was really put into use until we had sealed the deal!  Today's recipe is Chicken Breasts in Wine Sauce.  Warning:  this smells delicious while it's cooking and makes my stomach growl all day!

Chicken Breasts in Wine Sauce

6 chicken breasts, bone in (though I usually use boneless)
1 medium onion, sliced (I omit)
1 7 oz. can mushroom stems/pieces drained (fresh is better!)

Mix the following three ingredients:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup sherry wine or white wine (I use white)
2 tsp. Italian herb seasoning

1 8 oz. carton sour cream (I have substituted plain Greek yogurt with great success)

Place ingredients in slow cooker in order listed above, stopping with the soup mixture.  Don't put sour cream (or yogurt) into pot at this time.  (If you use fresh mushrooms, you may want to add them in the last hour of cooking).

Cook six hours on low or three hours on high.  Remove chicken pieces to serving platter.  Add sour cream to slow cooker and mix well, but don't cook any longer.

Serve the wine sauce over chicken and serve over rice or mashed potatoes.  (We have also used egg noodles, as it is like a chicken stroganoff).


No comments:

Post a Comment