Friday, August 10, 2012

A Little Fun With...Cookie Cutters!

One year, I asked for a large set of Wilton cookie cutters for our oldest son.  By large, I mean a set of 100.  They run about $15 and can be used for so many more things than just cutting out cookies!  We have had a lot of fun with our set of cookie cutters, as there is a large variety of shapes to fit any mood or "favorite" theme of the week.  I have also baked my fair share of cut-out cookies for birthday parties using this set.  It is a great buy in my eyes!

This morning we decided to have a little fun with out breakfast.  I made my "special" cinnamon toast and found a shape that I thought each kid would think was fun on this cloudy morning.  I chose a train for the little guy, a butterfly for the princess, and a stegosaurus for my oldest guy.  Of course they loved it and started their day off with a little treat.  This is also a great way to spice up a sandwich or grilled cheese.



Cutting out shapes in play dough is also one of their favorite activities.  I like to pull out the shapes by theme, especially for holidays, and let the kids go to work.  This set also includes the alphabet, so they could cut out the letters in their name and put them in order.  While the store-bought play dough is great, I think this really works best with homemade, as there is more to work with.

Another way to use those cookie cutters is to get out some paper plates, put some paint on them, and let the kids dip the cutters in the paint and make a collage on some heavy paper.  This is a great fine motor activity and an easy way for the kids to paint without making a huge mess.  You could take this activity one step further and have them choose two or three shapes, depending on their age, and have them create a pattern.  You can also give them the letters in their name and have them paint it on paper.

When it comes time for the holidays, you can use the cookie cutters make gifts for grandparents and teachers.  Make some applesauce ornament dough and let the kiddos choose which shape they'd like to make.  An easy and inexpensive gift that they will take great pride in!

These are just a few ways you can utilize a simple set of cookie cutters.  I have also used them for creating behavior and sleep charts by tracing a favorite shape, like a train, and having them put a sticker inside.  The list goes on and on!




No comments:

Post a Comment