Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Another Year in the Books

Yesterday I celebrated my 33rd birthday.  To be honest, I have a difficult time remembering how old I am, as I brought our youngest home son on my birthday and given the excitement of the day, it seems to be the "forgotten" birthday.  Therefore, I am always a year behind!  After some quick addition, though, I remembered how old I was turning.

For some time now, I have wanted to take some time to record the last decade of my life.  After all, the past ten years have been pretty monumental.  There are times when I can't believe that it has been ten years since I graduated college and began my career, but when I look at all that has transpired over those ten years it amazes me.

I take a lot of time to record and document important milestones, "kidisms," and events in my kids' lives, but I rarely take the time to reflect on and document what is going on in mine.  I used to write in a personal journal frequently in my college years and a few years after, but once I got married and started having kids, I let that go.  When we were moving I came across those journals and spent a lot time reading them and I wish that I had more of my thoughts from the past seven years recorded.

I am going to make the effort now to compile all of that time into one document.  I know that someday I will enjoy looking back on my first decade in the "real world" and someday my kids will probably enjoy reading it, too.  I'm sure it will be comical for them, as times change quickly and we all know how fast things become outdated.  I've recently seen some pictures of our college days on Facebook and it makes me laugh to see how "outdated" the people look.  Who would have thought?  I think I often feel like the look we had was timeless, but it is definitely not!

Have you taken the time to record your life at all?  I think it will be fun, for the most part, to relive the past ten years.  I may get a little sad remembering the days of 'ole, but I know that I will love having these special years recorded for a trip down memory lane in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment