Friday, July 13, 2012

Time Management 101

Today I woke up and felt much more optimistic about tackling the parts of my life that need a little help.  I have a Type A personality and really like to have all parts of my life very organized.  Moving caused us to become a bit disorganized, as we are trying to get our house in order and adapt to the changes in our lives due to our relocation.  We are coming up to our two month anniversary of being Iowans again and it would be nice to feel some sense of organization!  I am doing my best to not worry and let things happen as they may, but some parts of our lives just need a little improvement.  I'll think of it as a makeover.   


Time management is the focus of today.  I've decided to create a little DIY project to help organize my daily life.  I hope to complete it this weekend and share it with you early next week!  Creating a "to-do" list is my main method of attempting to complete tasks.  It's time to take it up a notch, though.  I've decided that I really need to create a system where I can visually see what tasks need to be accomplished each day and those that belong in the "it would be nice" category.  Once I come up with that list, I can "schedule" my day.  It sounds a little crazy, but I am a planner and I think that this will be right up my alley!  


When I think about what I need to do each week, the list seems overwhelming.  Cooking, cleaning, laundry, activities for the kids, exercise, household shopping, paying the bills, blah, blah, blah.  You know how it is, the list goes on and on.  Thinking about it this way makes me crazy!  I realize that I need to break it down by day and make sure that I am "scheduling" the activities I must complete that day.  This includes activities that are beneficial to me keeping my sanity, like exercise.  Some days it seems like I just have too much to do to fit that in, but I need to make the time.  Perhaps something else could wait until the next day or if I don't have time to make it to the gym, I could do a workout at home.  I know there's 30 minutes somewhere in my day to make it work.  This is why I feel like a visual presentation will work to solve these scheduling problems.  I can see where I can squeeze that in.


I am trying to slow down a bit and not feel so rushed when it comes to our daily life.  There is never going to be enough time in the day to get everything done that I'd like to do.  If everyone is happy, healthy, and safe, though, then I will consider the day a success.  Today I'll leave you with a little quote that I'm going to print off and post in a place where I will see it often.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters...compared to what lies within us."  -Ralph Waldo Emerson




No comments:

Post a Comment