Saturday, July 14, 2012

Sweet Moments to Cherish

Do you ever have days where you feel like nothing is going right?  The kids are cranky, your house is a mess, and you wish you could start the day over.  We all have those days, but they are quickly forgotten when your kiddos pull out one of those "that is the cutest thing ever" moments.  Today was one of those days.  


As I was putting the kiddos down for their naps, the little guy was following me into each of the older kids' rooms.  After I tucked my daughter in and got ready to walk out of her room, the little guy ran over to her bed and said "give kisses."  He smooched her on the cheek and it was the sweetest moment between siblings.  He then took off for his brother's room, climbed onto his bed, said "give kisses" again and began kissing him all over the face.  Both got to laughing so hard.  Those are the memories to treasure!


I love keeping track of these sweet little moments, funny sayings, and milestones.  I have a journal for all of the kids that I keep in my nightstand to record these moments.  Kids really do say the funniest things and I have enjoyed keeping track of their little "kidisms."  I also like to keep track of what activities interested them, what play schemes they were involved in, and their favorite songs and books.  There are times when I will have daily entries or sometimes a few a week.  I track them by months and it is a great way to look back and see how far they've come and to remember where their imaginations took them.  


This is easiest to see in my oldest kid's journal.  He has gone through many imaginative play phases in his life:  trains, church, golf, baseball, basketball, racing cars, etc.  He's been Santa, Tiger Woods, Geovany Soto, Derrick Rose, and had Derek Lee for an imaginary friend.  We've been treated to many songs, from his first, "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star," to the latest, "The National Anthem."  He's "read us" numerous books and we've laughed at the witty thoughts that have come from his mouth.  

These journals really are a treasure.  At times when I am looking through them, I get a bit sad thinking about how much time has already passed.  It just seems like yesterday that I brought my first baby home and now my youngest is quickly approaching two.  If you haven't already, I highly recommend buying some sort of a book to record those moments that you think you will remember, but in all likelihood will forget.  I know that mine will love reading these as they get older and hearing about what they did when they were young.     


 Just for fun, I'll treat you to some of my favorite moments:


"I want to be on the naughty list.  I want coal.  I need it for my train."
"Mom, is this anguish?"  (English)
"The second president was Fatherham Lincoln."
"And today's guest conductor, legendary third baseman, number 10, he had lots of surgeries, Ron Santo!"
"Never, never, never.  I'm never going to eat vegetables!"
"I need a patkin!" (napkin)
"I hold you."
"I love Crosty the Snowman." (Frosty)
Me:  "Mommy says no."  J:  "J says yes!" (the sassiness began!)
My littlest guy's latest, "See you later!  Bye!"  


There are so many little memories tucked away in those words.  I really do remember most of those moments like they were yesterday.  You know how the saying goes, "The days are long, but the years are short!" 


 Priceless Memories




No comments:

Post a Comment