Thursday, July 5, 2012

Red, White, and Blue With Some Firecracker, Too!

I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July!  Our kids had a lot of fun despite the extreme heat and are all tired out today.  I was in charge of desserts for our party yesterday.  I wanted to try a few new recipes, but only had time for one.  Whoopie Pies it was!  I've been wanting to try them for quite some time, so I dug out the pan I received for Christmas and gave it a shot.  They didn't turn our exactly how I had envisioned, but looks aren't everything!  While they were pretty tasty, I would definitely cut back on the salt next time.  I also substituted sugar sprinkles for the Pop Rocks.  The recipe is from a blog that many of my mommy friends follow called Annie's Eats.  If you'd like to give it a shot, here is the recipe:  Whoopie Pies


The festive desserts

Given our crazy schedule this week with the holidays and baseball, I decided to make one of my go-to recipes to have on hand for a meal when I'm in a pinch.  Chicken tacos has become
a favorite in our house, both with the kids and me.  It is a very simple crockpot recipe that packs a little punch and can be frozen as well.  

Chicken Tacos
1 to 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
1 package taco seasoning
1 can diced tomatoes and chiles (14 oz.)

Mix all ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Shred and serve.

Yep, that's it.  A very simple meal that can be used as is or as your meat filling for chicken enchiladas.  Enjoy!    






1 comment: