Wednesday, December 19, 2012

New Traditions and Christmas Morning Breakfast

This year we will be spending our first Christmas morning at home.  I am beyond excited!  Since we always had to travel so far, we always had our Christmas at home early and then took off on our "tour" of Christmas.  While we always made our Christmas celebration day special, it just never really felt like Christmas since we were sometimes celebrating up to a week early.  I am thankful to be close enough to family now that we can have Christmas morning with our not-so-little family in our own home and still be able to spend time with both of our families throughout the holidays.  I have always missed not being able to wake up and enjoy Christmas morning at home and felt like we were missing out on these family moments, so our inaugural year will be extra special.

When I was young, we went to my grandparent's home on Christmas Eve and then spent the entire day at home on Christmas.  It was so wonderful to wake up, open our gifts, and then have brunch with my other grandparents.  Since our kiddos are so young and believe in all of the Christmas magic, I am thrilled we can start some traditions in our own home.  I don't think the timing could be better, because our kindergartener now understands dates and realizes that Santa makes his stop at our home sometime while we're sleeping between the 24th and the 25th.  I'm not sure how I would have explained his early visit this year.  He is very excited that he will be stopping at our house during that time this year.  Christmas is just such a magical time for the little ones that I am looking forward to having this time with my family.  I think this is one of the great joys of parenting and I am going to love making these memories in our new home.  I can't wait to work our "magic" and watch the kids' reactions that morning.

I am sure our children will be up and at 'em early, which is good as our church service on Christmas is at 8:30 in the morning!  I hate to admit this, but we have not gone to church on Christmas Eve or Christmas in years, because we've always been running from one place to another trying to fit everything in.  This is one wonderful change I am looking forward to!  I thought that I would have a light breakfast treat ready for them to eat quickly before church and then when we return we can have a nice breakfast that we can prepare while they check out their new gifts.  I chose to make our favorite banana chocolate chip muffins in cute Christmas papers early and will freeze them to pull out the night before Christmas.  These muffins really are so delicious.  I could eat them all day (and sometimes do!).  When we return from church, we will have homemade waffles (my husband's specialty), scrambled eggs with cheese, sausage links, and fruit.  Since I'm sure they'll have juice with their muffins, I think we'll treat them to hot chocolate with breakfast.  This is making my stomach rumble!  

I really can't wait to wake up, turn on the fire, and enjoy the morning my husband and kiddos.  These are the moments we will always treasure and this year will be extra special in my book!

(The recipes are linked in this post to previous posts.  Enjoy!)


No comments:

Post a Comment