Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A New Recipe for a Nursing-Friendly Diet: Chicken Fried Rice

Now that my eating has entered into the "nursing-friendly" phase, I've been on the hunt for some dairy-free recipes and pinning to Pinterest like crazy.  I also have to omit some other things, like garlic, onion, and peppers, but that is easy enough to do.

Today I thought I'd try out a Chicken Fried Rice recipe I had come across.  It was fairly simple (bonus!) and turned out pretty well.  We aren't able to order Chinese food anymore, because it is not safe for our oldest son with his peanut and tree nut allergy, so it's nice to have something similar to a restaurant.  

Here is the recipe.  I will include all of the ingredients that the recipe called for, but note the items I omitted or changed.

Chicken Fried Rice

2 cups prepared rice
1 chicken breast, cut up (I used two cups of chicken that I had cooked and cut up ahead of time; season with salt and pepper if desired)
1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (I used peas and carrots)
2 green onions, chopped (I omitted)
1 clove garlic, minced ( I omitted)
1 egg
3 teaspoons sesame or wok oil, divided (I used olive oil and used two tablespoons because I initially read the recipe wrong!)
2 T. soy sauce (I used low sodium)

Whisk egg and 1 teaspoon (or tablespoon!)  oil in a bowl.  Set aside.  Heat one teaspoon (or tablespoon!) oil in a wok over medium high heat.  Add chicken and stir fry until cooked.  Set aside.  Add another teaspoon of oil to the wok, and add frozen vegetables (and green onions if desired).  Stir fry until tender, about two minutes (though it took me about 5!).  If using garlic, add and cook for another 30 seconds.  Push vegetables to the side in the wok and pour in egg mixture into the center and scramble.  Add cooked chicken, rice, and soy sauce to wok and then toss well to combine.





    

No comments:

Post a Comment