Monday, June 24, 2013

Fitness Challenge

Whew, last week was a busy one and this one is shaping up to be as well!  In addition to keeping up with the household chores,  I have so many projects to do around the house as we are getting ready for baptism this weekend.  Oh, and then there are those four kids that I have to watch over and keep busy!  Even though my day usually begins no later than 6:30 and ends at 10:30, there are still not enough hours in the day to accomplish all that I would like or to enjoy much "me" time.  

Sometimes I feel like it is selfish to desire "me" time, but in reality it's good for the mind and the soul!  While I know there are great benefits to having time to engage in activities that I enjoy, it is still hard to find time to fit that in, especially with a new baby who prefers to nurse than take a bottle and really loves her mother (in other words, being held by others only lasts so long).  I decided that I could fit in one of my hobbies while nursing:  reading.  I'm slowly making my way through books in short increments while I feed her and the others don't need my attention.  I am not on pace to read as much as I would like, but at least it's something.

My other priority right now is fitness.  Obviously I have baby weight that I need to lose, but a good workout also helps my mood, reduces my stress, and gives me a bit of that coveted alone time.  We have joined our local YMCA again, but unfortunately I am not able to utilize it as much as I'd like, because I am not comfortable leaving the baby in the play room quite yet.  Instead, I have decided to begin a program called From Couch to 5K.  It is a guided program that is to get me running a 5K in 8 weeks.  Last month I signed up for the Color Me Rad race near the end of August, so I should be ready to go by then.  In order to make this work, though, I have had to get up and get out the door in the morning.  It takes 30 minutes to do the program right now (though that may change in the future), so I have to hit the sidewalks before my husband goes to work or wait until later in the evening.  So far, so good.  I completed the first week and wanted to start the second week today, but the thunderstorms we are having this morning put a damper on that.  I am hoping to sneak out tonight and get my workout in so that I can stay on schedule!

I'd like to challenge you to find time in your schedule to fit in some "me" time and set a fitness goal that you would like to achieve.  Make it a priority!  The other things can wait.  Taking care of yourself is the most important thing you can do for your family, because in the end everyone benefits.  Recently there have been many fellow moms posting on Facebook about fitness goals they have set for themselves from a triathlon to a half marathon to a 5K.  I've seen a group of women from my hometown try out a boot camp fitness program (that starts VERY early in the morning might I add!) and become hooked.  It is so awesome to see them post about their success, how much they are enjoying it, and how much better they feel.  

I think that everyone, regardless of whether or not you're a parent, is busy and feels like there are just not enough hours in a day to accomplish all that you would like.  Take a step back and prioritize:  surely there are things that can wait while others cannot.  Your health is one that cannot wait.  Block out some time and get to it!  

What goal would you like to achieve?  Take the plunge and make it happen!  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment