Thursday, April 25, 2013

Math Activities for Toddlers with Food!

This morning I am home with my little guy (2 1/2) and of course, the baby.  I feel a bit guilty about the amount of time I'm able to spend with all of the kids right now given how much attention the baby requires, so I wanted to do something fun with him while my older two were at school.  We opted for a little math fun with food!

While it's not the healthiest food on the block, Fruit Snacks and Fruit Loops lend themselves well to sorting, color recognition and naming, and patterning (and they just happened to be in my pantry!).  This morning we just worked on sorting, counting how many in each group, and figuring out which group had the most and the least.  My little guy thought it was fun and especially enjoyed the end result:  eating them!  This activity would also work well with colored Goldfish.

Depending on the age of your child(ren), you could use the Fruit Loops to create pattern necklaces and make them as difficult or easy as your child can handle.  You could also take the colored Goldfish, provide cut out fish bowls for each color, and have your child sort them into the correct fish bowl.  There are many ways to play and learn with food!


Sorting Fun!






No comments:

Post a Comment