Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Granola Bars

There are several foods that we can longer have in our home due to our son's peanut allergy.  Granola bars are one of those items.  For some odd reason, this week all I've wanted was a chewy chocolate chip Quaker granola bar.  My mom gave me a recipe that seems similar to them and if I had the time or the hands to run to the store to get the ingredients, I would!  In the past, though, I have made these granola bars and we all thought they were pretty tasty.  They aren't the healthiest in the world, as there's quite a bit of corn syrup and butter in them, but they're good for a treat now and then.  I've frozen them with success, too.

Granola Bars
Recipe from Taste of Home Cooking for Kids Cookbook

6 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups raisins (or other dried fruit bits)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut

In a large bowl, combine the ingredients; mix well.  Spread into a greased jelly roll pan (15x10x1)  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack.  Use a knife to cut into squares or cookie cutters to cut into shapes.  Store in covered container.

No comments:

Post a Comment