Monday, April 29, 2013

Crocking Monday!

When I had my third child, I received a beef stew Mommy Meal from a member of one of my mom's groups.  It was delicious and I had every intention of making it, but never got around to it.  Since I am trying to avoid dairy again, I have been looking for meals that contain no milk products.  This one came to mind and my mom offered to make it for me (bonus!).  

She prepped everything for me and we turned the original recipe into a crockpot meal.  It turned out quite well and I will be adding it to my growing list of crockpot recipes.  Here is our modified recipe!

Beef Stew in the Crockpot
Adapted from Paula Deen courtesy of a Peanut Blossom blog post

2 lbs. beef stew meat
flour, for coating meat
2 T. oil
1 1/2 cups beef broth (or half beef broth, half water)
1 T. Worcestershire Sauce
1 clove garlic, peeled (I omitted)
1 bay leaf
1 medium onion, sliced (I omitted)
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. paprika
3 large carrots, sliced
3 ribs celery, chopped
4 red potatoes, peeled and sliced into large pieces (may omit and serve over mashed potatoes instead)
1/3 c. flour
*fresh mushrooms would be a wonderful addition!

Heat oil.  Coat meat in flour and cook until brown.  In a large bowl, mix vegetables and flour.  Add beef broth, Worcestershire Sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, and paprika.  Mix well.  Add meat and mix again. Pour into a lightly greased crockpot.  Place bay leaf on top and cook on low for 10 hours.  If adding the mushrooms, place in crockpot a few hours before it is done.  When reheating, may want to add some water to thin out.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment