Monday, June 25, 2012

A Summer Treat: Ice Cream Sandwiches!

My oldest son has a peanut allergy, so at times in can be hard to buy the "fun" goodies at the store.  We are unable to purchase bakery items and many pre-packaged treats, so I have taken it upon myself to make those items myself.  Over the years I have found that I really love to cook in general, but I love to make fun baked goods.  So much, in fact, that I've started a little business out of my home making goodies for parties.  It is something that I truly love to do and it brings me great joy!


This weekend we had some friends over for a BBQ.  I had come across a recipe for brownie ice cream sandwiches in my Everyday Food magazine that I wanted to try and this seemed like the perfect occasion.  I had also promised the kids we would make homemade ice cream, so we killed two birds with one stone!  They turned out great and everyone devoured their sandwich (and some had a few more!).  The best part about this recipe, though, was I knew every ingredient that went into it and there was no "extra" filler junk or high fructose corn syrup.  Just delicious chocolate brownie and vanilla ice cream.


The recipe was very easy and quick to make.  The only hiccup I came across was transferring the brownie without it cracking.  Another try at it, though, and I think I could do it.  Here is the recipe:


Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches


1 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 pints ice cream softened (I used homemade)


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 10-by-15 inch jelly-roll pan.  Line with parchment, leaving a    2-inch overhang on short sides, then butter paper


2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together butter and sugar, then whisk in eggs and salt.  Add flour and cocoa and mix until just smooth.  Spread in pan.  Bake until brownie is dry to the touch and edges have begun to pull away from pan.  10 to 12 minutes.  Let cool 5 minutes.  Using paper overhang, transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.


3.  Transfer brownie to a work surface and cut in half crosswise.  Cover pan with a large sheet of plastic wrap and place one cake half on it.  Spread with ice cream, invert remaining brownie half on top, and wrap tightly in plastic.  Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.


4.  Unwrap, cut into 12 pieces, and serve.  (To store, wrap each sandwich in plastic and freeze, up to 1 week).


*We have a Cuisinart ice cream maker that is fabulous.  It is so easy to use (no rock salt) and in 30 minutes the ice cream is ready.


 The smallest critics thought they were great!


The pan of yumminess!



No comments:

Post a Comment