Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Thanking our Heroes

Over the weekend my husband suggested that we make something for our local fire department this week.  I have to admit, I was a bit baffled when he suggested this, but then I figured out what the date was and realized that September 11th would fall on Wednesday.  Then it all made sense.  We are approaching the 12th anniversary of this tragic day, yet I can still so vividly remember nearly every moment that transpired that day.

I've often heard that for our generation it is very similar to those who were old enough to remember Kennedy's assassination.  For most of us we remember where we were, what time we learned the news, and the hours of television coverage we watched.  We were overcome with sadness, shock, and hopelessness, but we stood united and were quick to pray,  hang flags and create other patriotic displays .  Each year September 11th comes upon us and I think it's safe to say that for many of us those feelings arise again.  Will it always be that way?  I believe so. 

Obviously my children were not born at the time of September 11th, but I think it's a great time for us to stop and talk about how important it is to recognize those who risk their lives to keep us safe:  firefighters, policemen, and military personnel.  We will take the opportunity to make some thank you cards, some sweet treats, and personally deliver them to these heroes in our community.  

I think it's important for us to teach our children about service and being thankful for the freedom that we have.  It seems that when they're young, finding these opportunities can be difficult.  Let's not forget that there are people surrounding us everyday that deserve our gratitude and taking the time to recognize them is a great way to get the little ones involved and teach these valuable lessons.     

Pride

Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment