Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Taking the Plunge

As the seasons begin to change, I am reminded once again how quickly time goes.  It seems like just yesterday we were excited about the warmer temperatures and the fun that summer would bring.  We made our summer bucket list and began to plan how we would spend those summer days.  While we did accomplish a sizable chunk of that long list, I'm left with the thought of, "where did the time go?"  

I can't help but feel that we didn't make the most of our summer this year.  Juggling a new baby and three other kiddos proved to be a bit much for me some days.  Solo outings with the whole crew were difficult, but we made the most of it.  Looking back I think we had fun, but we had plenty of "un-fun" moments as well.  I am trying to re-energize myself, though it's difficult these days with the lack of sleep I am getting.  We generally don't make a "fall bucket list," but I think this year we may just start a new tradition.  Most of our activities will probably be indoors, but I really want to hear what ideas my kiddos have.  I'm trying to stop saying, "No" so often and be open to things that may be a bit out of my comfort zone.  

As I had mentioned a few posts back, I am re-reading Daring Greatly by Brene Brown and spending a lot of time reflecting on where I am at in my life and where I would like to be.  I think we all have goals, dreams, and ideas that we are afraid to go after.  Perhaps we think someone will laugh at us, that we'll fail, or we'll simply be disappointed.  Maybe there are people in our lives who tell us we can't, criticize our decisions, "kill" our dreams before they ever come to fruition, or just hold us back.  

There are a few dreams I have for myself that I am no longer going to put off on the back burner and ignore.  I'm going to step out of my "safe" little zone and go for it.  I want to teach my kids that it's okay to go after what you want, even if it doesn't turn out quite the way you had hoped.  And if it fails?  Then it will be a great life lesson for us all.  This is also something I want to keep in mind when they present an idea or express an interest in trying something new.  Instead of being so quick to say, "No," I think they deserve the chance to try.  In an age where there is less time for  creativity and independent exploration of ideas at school, I think it is important to provide an environment at home where it's encouraged and valued.

So, what are you waiting for?  Do you have a big dream for yourself that you've been afraid to go after?  What's holding you back?  Are you ready to take the first step and see what comes of it?  Let's stop being afraid to try and believe in ourselves and our ideas.  What a great opportunity for us and a great example for our kiddos!  Who's in?!    


No comments:

Post a Comment