Friday, February 22, 2013

No Meat Fridays? Shrimp Boil!

I'm not going to lie...we should not be eating meat on Fridays, but we have gotten pretty bad about this since we've had kids.  Generally, I like to just make one meal for everyone and our kids are not big fans of fish (except for fish sticks!) and now we have a possible shellfish allergy to add to it.  It's definitely a Mom and Dad meal, but we eat early these days.  I could just serve cheese quesadillas, tomato soup and grilled cheese, macaroni and cheese, or cheese pizza, but I don't.  Maybe I'll make it a goal for next year!

I will share with you, though, my favorite shrimp boil recipe.  We eat this every year with my parents for our Christmas celebration.  I could sure go for some tonight!

Shrimp Boil

6 cups water
2 T. salt
2 T. vinegar
2 bay leaves
2 stalks celery
Fresh shrimp with the shell on, however many pounds you plan to eat!

Combine all ingredients except shrimp.  Bring to boil.  Add 1/2 pound to 1 pound of shrimp at a time.  Cook until pink (about 2-3 minutes generally).  Remove shrimp with slotted spoon.  Repeat as necessary, bringing water to a boil each time.

Serve with warm butter and cocktail sauce if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment