Friday, December 20, 2013

Cookies for Santa

There is simply not enough time in the day for me to accomplish even half of what I'd like to do! Unfortunately, my blog (which I really enjoy doing) has taken a back seat the past few months to the other demands in my life.  I wanted to quickly share with you this fun cut-out cookie project that you could do with your children this weekend.  They make great "cookies for Santa!"
I have found a yummy cookie dough recipe that I have been using for the past few years.  Initially I started using it when I made cookies on a stick, but it works well to roll it out thinner for regular cut-outs as well.  Mix up the dough and let it chill for awhile.  Once it's firm, grab some cookie cutters and get to work!  Once they are cooled, give your kids some paint brushes (wide is best) and let them paint their cookies with some icing.  I'll include both recipes!  

Our kiddos love this project.  They love to select what cookie cutter to use and decorating their cookies especially for Santa!  Once they're dry, I throw them in the freezer and we pull them out on Christmas Eve so they're nice and fresh for Santa!  Enjoy!

Sugar Cookies
Adapted from Sweet Sista'

3 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 large egg
1/2 t. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift together flour and baking powder.  In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Stir in the egg, salt, and vanilla.  Slowly add the flour mixture (1 c. at a time) and stir until incorporated.  Form the dough into a disc and refrigerate for one hour.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cut the cookies into shapes and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown.  Remove from oven and allow to cool.  Place on a cookie rack to fully cool.  

Icing

1 c. powdered sugar
2 t. milk
2 t. light corn syrup
1/4 t. vanilla

Warm milk.  Stir in powdered sugar and stir until smooth.  Mix in corn syrup and vanilla and mix until smooth and glossy.  If it's too thick, add more corn syrup.  Divide into bowls and add coloring.  Paint on with paintbrushes.


Painting away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment